Christ is in our Midst!
Welcome to St. George Greek Orthodox Church of
Taybeh in Palestine, the country Constantine the Great
named the "Holy Land." We are located in the
only all Christian village left in Palestine renamed
"Taybeh" (meaning good) in the 12th century
from the old biblical name "Ephraim." Our
oral history says that the original St. George Orthodox
Christian Church in our village was built in the fourth
century by St. Constantine and St. Helen and currently
is an archeological site where the local Christian residents,
less than 2000, light their candles daily. This special
holy place continues to be the treasure of our village
and looks down at the Jordan Valley where St. Mary of
Egypt spent more than forty years of her life seeking
The present and new church of St. George was completed in 1931 on the
same ground where another byzantine church of St. George
was destroyed twice by aging. Our church is under the
guidance of His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos III,
the Patriarch of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of
Jerusalem, Palestine, Syria, beyond the Jordan River,
Cana of Galilee & Holy Zion. All of the Orthodox
faithful are of Palestinian ethnicity; however, in Jerusalem
a few hundred people of Greek ethnicity also have deep
roots in Palestine in addition to the two hundred serving
in the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre.
Our parish priest, Fr. David (Daoud) Philip Khoury has served the church
since 1986 with about two hundred fifty families. Fr.
Tawfik Nasr, memory eternal (Nov 27, 1923 – Dec
21, 2011) was the retired priest in our village who
had more than fifty years in Christ's service.
This website was specifically set up to bring awareness of Orthodox Christians
in the land of Christ's birth and to seek assistance
in helping people stay in this little Christian village
preserving their heritage and traditions of over two
thousand years having survived many wars, occupations
and political hardships as an authentic witness to Christ’s
love and peace.